Timing
There’s an old joke that Eric Morecombe used to love.
“What is the secret to great comedy, Ern?”
“I don’t know, what is the secret to ...”
Before Ernie Wise could finish his reply Eric butted in, “Timing!”
Cue huge laugh at Ernie’s expense!
It occurs to me that the same answer is the secret to a happy life. Recognising when you are happy is a fantastic and rare talent. All too often we only miss it when it’s gone! Timing is all.
There is an element of luck to life’s timing of course. Good timing gets you in the right place at the right time. It means you get the job. It means you meet the right people. It means you meet that special person. It means the family comes along when time and funds allow. It means that the house you love is for sale when you have the mortgage. Good timing can be as simple as catching that perfect shot on the camera, and bad timing can mean someone else caught your embarrassing moment for Youtube!
I was thinking this week about how timing affects my life here in Catalonia.
I am an early to rise, early to bed kind of girl. From about five am I’m wide awake, but by nine at night my eyes are glazing over, ready for a good seven or eight hours of sleep. There is evidence to show that some humans, like me, are more alert in the mornings, whilst others are at their best in the afternoon. I understand this can change with age and can be tweaked slightly by getting yourself out into the sunshine at significant times of the day. Personally, I have had no success with changing my internal alarm settings! I believe that my body time clock was set for good when I lived for seven years in the Caribbean. Close to the Equator, the day light hours vary little over the year and so daylight usually begins and ends around six. That’s twelve lovely hours of sunshine for most days of the year. Fruit and veg markets begin at six in the morning so you are up with the lark literally, and conversely it’s time to forget work and prepare your sun downer at six at night. Simples! (Sorry, I’m a fan of compare the meerkat.com!)
Back in the UK being an early riser didn’t seem to be a problem. We know that in the UK the hours of work have increased despite all the labour and time-saving devices that have developed since the fifties. Economic and social pressures have meant our hours of commute, work and study have extended way beyond the hours of nine to five. Parents work longer hours to provide for the greater needs of kids, and kids work longer hours for the increased expectations of their future working life. The proverbial rat race! My impression is that despite the offers of twenty four hour shopping and entertainment centres, only the big cities had a thriving community in the middle of my night! I could fit in. OK, so if the best of entertainment programmes in the UK are getting a little past my bedtime at ten, I had no problem with theatre, films, eating out or meeting friends at the pub around seven or eight.
In Catalonia I have had some serious timing problems.
Here the hours of work and play can be very different to Northern Europe. At this point I’m afraid I must burst the bubble that everyone in Spain lives a more relaxed and laid back life compared to Britain! Siesta time is not a tradition in Catalonia. They are renowned for their business acumen and all that it buys. You will hear the same jokes in Spain about the Catalans and their close affinity to money as you hear about the people of Yorkshire in the UK! Thousands of families here have extremely long working days and this is nothing new. A second generation is now raising families with a strict study and work ethic that has flourished since the depressed economy of the Franco days of thirty years ago.
A typical, let's call them middle-class, family in Catalonia will have both parents working full time and the children attending a series of post school activities. Sounds familiar, but here the hours are longer. Children will be at school from nine to five and, after a small snack, will be off to tutorials, language or sports classes for an hour and a half each night. Meanwhile mum and dad after a short commute will start work at nine or ten am. There’s a short morning coffee break outside the office for half an hour around eleven, and a two hour lunch at one or two, but then the working day finally ends at eight. The family will not gather until nine at night for a light meal. Then, it’s a considerable amount of homework, perhaps some TV or computer time and bed rarely before eleven. Children attend a full day nursery from six months and most will start a school day at two years. I simply do not know how they keep going all day! In Andalusia and Madrid the bedtime hours are even later, and in the summer we are talking serious nocturnal activity!
So, how does this all affect me, the early bird?
Well I find it difficult to stay awake for most evening entertainments here, which would not dream of starting before ten pm! Restaurants are empty at nine when we arrive and are only filling by ten thirty when we’re about to leave. Daytime TV is still on at eight when I would like some R&R and I’m catching zzzs when the good stuff is on later.
The answer of course is to enjoy what you have.
I love long, lazy lunchtimes at busy Catalan restaurants where everyone considers they are having the most important meal of the day. DVDs and the computer give me all the entertainment I need on screen whilst theatre and current cinema are a special treat for visits back home. Finally, I relish the quiet morning “me-time” before the rest of the Catalonia starts its day.
It's all a question of timing.
If you have any comments on timing or any other blog posting, please send me a message.
I’d love to hear from you.
Karen
www.cantorras.com
facebook Can Torras
Labels: bad timing, body clock, Can Torras, Caribbean, Catalonia, early bird, good timing, secret to comedy, secret to life, siesta time, Spanish times, timing, working hours
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home